SLIDER

Snail Mail Challenge // Week 2

Wednesday, January 21, 2015


A friend of mine, who was engaged last year, sent an email to a bunch of friends asking for helpful wedding tips. In my busyness (awful excuse, I know!), I completely forgot to write her back. So, when I was thinking of who I would write my second letter to I knew, off the bat, that it would be her.  

Here were some of my wedding tips:

1. Relax! If possible. I remember how easy it was to get overwhelmed (guest lists and thousand dollar deposits can do that to you!) so I encouraged her to keep focus on what's truly important - their marriage. The wedding day, while significant, isn't the most important thing. The joining of two people before God, family and friends is.

2. Get a day of coordinator! I have seen weddings where day of coordinators take charge and ones where the bride and groom have to do everything themselves. Having someone run our day so that TheHubby and I could sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labour was key to not stressing out. I would have freaked out if I had to deal with all the little details on top of smiling, greeting people all day and being the center of attention. Not to mention, get married while I am at it :p  But you know yourself best :) 

3. Pick your battles! In the end, you can't (and won't) please everyone. Fight the battles you can and need to win and let the rest go. [Refer back to point #1].

We initially wanted a small and intimate wedding. Instead, we ended up with 400 guests! I'm sure we could have fought for a small wedding but I knew that regardless of how many people attended, TheHubby and I would be married and that's what truly mattered. If it made our parents (who have a lot of church friends!) happy to invite their whole congregation, so be it. Did I love our wedding? Yes! Would I have still wanted a small wedding? Probably. But was it worth the fight with both sides of parents? Nope. Not for us.  

4. Renew your passport! I didn't know my passport needed to be valid for a certain number of months in order to travel. Because of that, we were limited to vacationing in Cuba for our honeymoon. It would have been nice to have had more options but we loved it regardless.

5. Balance!!! Again, planning a wedding can be super exhausting and overwhelming. I don't think TheHubby and I ever fought as much as we did during our engagement.  Thankgoodness for that!  If I could do it all over again, I would have set aside a couple of days a week (especially closer to the wedding day) to talk about non-wedding related stuff and do some of the things we did before getting engaged.


What are some of your favorite wedding tips?

Have a great day!

Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger